Men jailed for series of Sheffield armed robberies

Two men are now serving a combined sentence of 24-years behind bars following a series of armed robberies across the city.

Alan Smith, 35, formerly of Toppham Way, Lowedges, and Cain Froggatt, 31, of no fixed address, committed three armed robberies over six days in January, including one at a post office where they threatened a member of staff at knifepoint.

The post office on Baslow Road, Totley was the first business they targeted, on Monday 14 January. The two men entered the store just before 6am, with Smith carrying a knife and making threats to an employee before stealing a quantity of cigarettes.

Detective Constable Yvonne Fairbrother, from Sheffield’s Proactive Team, said: “Two days after targeting the post office, Smith and Froggatt entered the McColls store on Ecclesall Road South, making threats to a shop worker and taking an amount of cash.

“Their third offence was committed three days later on Saturday 19 January, when the two made demands for cash at Westwick News and Booze, Westwick Crescent, Sheffield, threatening a shop worker with a knife.

“Thankfully no one was injured in any of the incidents but those who were threatened were understandably left incredibly shaken by what happened.

“Smith and Froggatt left the scenes of their crimes in a different vehicle each time. These vehicles were later found to be linked to Smith, leading to his arrest. We also found clothing which belonged to the two men at their addresses, which we knew they had worn to commit their crimes.”

The pair both pleaded guilty to three counts of armed robbery at an earlier hearing and were back before Sheffield Crown Court yesterday (Monday 20 May), for sentencing.

Smith also pleaded guilty to one count of burglary, relating to an incident at Tesco on Birley Moor Road on Friday 11 January in which cash and alcohol were taken after a white van was captured on CCTV ramming into the front doors of the store to gain entry.

He was jailed for a total of 13 years while Froggatt was handed an 11-year sentence.

DC Fairbrother added: “These two men were shameless in their offending and clearly thought they were above the law, targeting three separate businesses in the space of six days.

“Through CCTV and forensic work, from clothing they were wearing, we were able to arrest and charge them and I’m pleased they are now facing the consequences of their actions.”


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here