Council leaders are urging families applying for their child’s secondary school to make sure they fill in their application forms before the closing date of 31 October 2018.
Parents will find out the outcomes of their secondary school application on 1 March 2019
Parents are entitled to express up to three preferences but some parents choose not to. Parents are always encouraged to use all three preferences in order to maximise their options. Putting down three preferences does not reduce the chance of parents getting their preferred option, but does provide alternatives should the preferred school(s) be over-subscribed.
Whilst Sheffield families continue to have a better chance than most of accessing one of their preferred schools – over 96% in this year’s intake – there is no automatic entitlement to a place at the preferred or catchment school. Families are encouraged to name their catchment school as one of their preferences as places cannot be reserved for catchment pupils where a positive preference for this school has not been expressed.
Applications have also opened for this week for primary school places. The deadline for online applications is 4 December and written applications on 15 January. Parents will find out the outcomes of their primary school application on 16 April 2019.
All secondary schools are holding open evenings throughout September and October where parents can obtain further advice and guidance.
Councillor Jayne Dunn, Sheffield City Council’s Cabinet Member for Education and Skills said:
I would encourage all parents and carers to fill in their application form for a school place as soon as possible and most importantly fill in all three preferences.
All families deserve great schools close to where they live, which is why this year we have opened two new schools in Sheffield. It is my ambition that every child should receive a fantastic education with high quality teaching and the best facilities. With these additional places we want to make sure that all our children can benefit from an excellent education in their local area.
If families need help with the form they should contact 0114 273 5790 or email email@example.com
The application form basics:
- Forms are sent to the child’s home around a year before they are due to go to school.
- Parents and carers will be told which their local catchment school is on this letter.
- They are required to put down three preferences. Those applying for a faith school will have further forms to fill in.
- The same criteria are applied to all school applications, with the exception of Faith Schools – with priority given to children in care, then catchment, then sibling and then feeder school.
- Applications for secondary school are made a year before the child is due to start Year Seven. Again the same criteria apply and the forms should be filled in in the same manner to optimise parents’ and carers’ chances of getting the school of their choice